Every kind of insulation resistance tester has its pros and cons. Choosing the correct insulation tester resistance is crucial if you want to get accurate results. Many types of resistance testers are available, including handheld, battery-operated, and benchtops.
If you’ve worked with insulation before, you know there are limited ways to do the test, such as using a multimeter. But with a multimeter, you can only test it for resistance, which is not necessarily a sign of the health of your insulation.
That’s why it’s essential to choose the correct insulation tester resistance, so you can accurately determine the health of your insulation.
So, what is the insulation resistance tester?
The insulation resistance tester is a device used to measure the insulation resistance of an electrical conductor or the ability of an insulator to resist the flow of electricity.
We use the Insulation resistance testers to check the integrity of electrical insulation, such as wire insulation, insulation in electrical equipment (such as electric motors), and electrical insulation in water systems.
How to choose the correct insulation resistance tester?
Before you purchase a one, you need to make sure you understand the following concepts:
A- Voltage capacity:
To ensure that the insulation resistance tester will be helpful for your specific application, you must first check the voltage capacity and compare it to the voltage level of the testing circuit. If the circuit voltage is lower than what the tester can handle, then the tester will not be helpful.
B- Insulation Performance Range:
The testing range of an insulation resistance tester is a critical factor to consider. It will give you an idea about the capacity of the device and whether it applies to your requirements or not. Some resistance testers are more suitable for heavy applications, while others are not.
When you decide to purchase an insulation resistance tester, you’ll want to ensure that you’re getting a quality device that will last. A warranty is the best way to ensure this. Make sure to get a reliable device with an excellent warranty to save yourself from any future troubles.
How is insulation resistance measured?
Insulation resistance is measured with an IR tester, which is a portable tool that is essentially an ohmmeter with a built-in generator.
This generator produces a high DC voltage, typically measuring at least 500V. This voltage creates a current to flow through the insulation, and the resistance is measured based on the amount of current that flows around the surface of the insulation.
The resistance of insulation is measured using Ohm’s Law (R=V/I). By applying a known DC voltage that is lower than the voltage for dielectric testing and then measuring the current that flows, it is very simple to determine the value of the resistance.
Ok, now let us have a look at the Best Insulation Resistance tester on the market.
This is a list of the ten best insulation Resistance Tester
|Device Name||Insulation test Voltages||Resistance Range||Power Type||Learn More|
|Fluke 1587 Insulation Multimeter||50 Volts, 100 Volts, 250 Volts, 500 Volts, 1000 Volts||0.01 Ohms to 20.00 Kiloohms||Battery Powered||Check On Amazon|
|Megger MIT230-EN Insulation Tester||25 Volts to 600 Volts||0.01 to 100 Ohms||Check On Amazon|
|Fluke Megohmmeter Insulation Resistance Tester||50 Volts, 100 Volts, 250 Volts, 500 Volts, 1000 Volts||0.01 Megaohms to 10 Gigaohms||Battery Powered||Check On Amazon|
|EnnoLogic Insulation Tester||50 Volts, 100 Volts, 250 Volts, 500 Volts, or 1000 Volts||AAA batteries||Check On Amazon|
|AEMC 2126.53 Digital Megohmmeter||250 Volts, 500 Volts, and 1000 Volts||Corded Electric||Check On Amazon|
|Amprobe AMB-25 Digital Insulation Resistance Tester||250 Volts, 500 Volts, and 1000 Volts||Corded Electric||Check On Amazon|
|Extech Autoranging Digital Insulation Tester||250 Volts, 500 Volts, and 1000 Volts||200 to 200 kΩ||Battery Powered - Alkaline||Check On Amazon|
|Klein Tools ET600 Multimeter Tester||125 Volts, 250 Volts, 500 Volts, 1000 Volts||4000 Ohms||Check On Amazon|
|Supco M500 Insulation Tester||upto 500 VAC||0 to 1000 Megaohms||Battery Powered||Check On Amazon|
|BTMETER BT-6688B Megohmmeter||100 Volts, 250 Volts, 500 Volts, 1000 Volts, 2500 Volts, 5000 Volts||Electricity||Check On Amazon|
1- Fluke 1587 Insulation Multimeter
The Fluke 1587 is a top-of-the-line insulation resistance tester that can measure resistance from 0.01 Mohms to 2 Giga ohms. Despite its high measurement capacity, the device is still compact and easy to use.
This multimeter can also measure other factors like current, voltage, frequency, and temperature. Its actual RMS meter provides accurate readings. It also has a low pass filter to block voltages and prevent disturbance in the process.
- Has a high range of resistance measurement, it can measure from 0.01 megohms to 2 gigaohms
- Has a high range of insulation test voltages, 50 Volts, 100 Volts, 250 Volts, 500 Volts, 1000 Volts
- Includes a Low-pass filter that blocks unwanted voltages
- High Accuracy by using TRMS technology
2- Megger MIT230-EN Insulation Tester
- This meter is great for reading linear loads where the current or voltage has a sinusoidal waveform. You’ll get accurate readings every time!
- This insulation tester is designed for testing insulation resistance, voltage, and continuity in electrical installations. It is a reliable and essential tool for ensuring the safety and quality of your electrical work.
- This digital meter has two displays and an analog arc function that duplicates the response of analog meters.
- This product is designed to meet the safety requirements of European Standard EN61010-1 Category III, 600V. It is also IP40 rated for protection against accidental contact with hazardous parts.
- This instrument measures insulation resistance from 0 to 1,000 megaohms, voltage from 25 to 600 volts, and continuity from 0.01 to 100 ohms.
3- Fluke Megohmmeter Insulation Resistance Tester
- This tool calculates PI and DAR automatically, providing a detailed indication of insulation conditions.
- The measurement of voltage up to 600V with an indication of when a voltage greater than 30V is detected.
- This digital megohmmeter has both preset and adjustable test voltages for measuring insulation resistance, as well as the ability to measure leakage current up to 2 milliamperes (mA) and capacitance up to 20 microfarads.
- This product has been tested to meet safety standards 61010 to 1 and 61557 and is rated for CAT IV installations to 600V and CAT III installations to 1,000V.
- The device can store up to 99 test results and upload them to a PC. It can also perform timed tests of up to 99 minutes.
4- EnnoLogic Insulation Tester
- You can measure insulation resistance from 50 Kilo-ohms to 2 Giga-ohms using test voltages of 50 volts, 100 volts, 250 volts, 500 volts, or 1000 volts.
- The large LCD display with backlighting makes it easy to read, displaying the test voltage output and insulation resistance at the same time.
- This meter is ideal for CAT III installations that require 1,000 volts or less.
- You are not only getting an insulation tester with the eM870M but also a professional multimeter loaded with functions and features. It can measure AC and DC voltage and current (with True RMS for AC), resistance, continuity, diode test, temperature (with a thermocouple probe included), logic, and linear frequency.
- This multimeter is battery-operated with 6 AAA batteries. It will automatically shut off after 15 minutes to conserve battery power, but this feature can be disabled by the user. It has an auto-range and manual range, as well as Max, Min, and Hold functions.
5- AEMC 2126.53 Digital Megohmmeter
- A voltmeter that can measure up to 600 volts of alternating current or 1000 volts of direct current.
- The insulation test voltage selections are 250V, 500V, and 1000V.
- After the insulation test is complete, the system will automatically discharge.
- This device is a true megohmmeter.
6- Amprobe AMB-25 Insulation Resistance Tester
- This insulation resistance tester measures insulation resistance from 0 to 1,000 megaohms with test voltages of 250V, 500V, and 1,000V DC.
- You can use it to test the insulation of wires, cables, transformers, and electrical motors. This is a quick and easy way to ensure that your equipment is in good working condition.
- The internal memory can hold up to 9 test results.
- Selectable test voltages of 250V, 500V, and 1000V are available.
- This ohmmeter is designed for measuring the resistance of motor windings. It is a sensitive instrument that can provide accurate readings.
- This product has been safety tested in accordance with the European Standard EN 61010-1 Category III 1,000V.
- The dielectric absorption ratio test can be performed using a programmable timer.
7- Extech Autoranging Digital Insulation Tester
- This insulation tester can measure AC voltage up to 750 volts and DC voltage up to 1000 volts.
- Test voltages of 250V, 500V, and 1000VDC.
- This instrument measures the electrical resistance of insulation materials, up to a maximum of 2000 Megaohm.
- Voltage and insulation resistance testing of dual backlit LCD displays.
8- Klein Tools ET600 Multimeter Tester
- This multimeter can handle AC/DC voltages up to 1000V, as well as resistances and continuity measurements.
- This voltage tester can test the insulation resistance of up to 4000 Megaohm at 125V, 250V, 500V, and 1000V DC.
- This megohmmeter is equipped with test and lock buttons for easy insulation testing.
- TRMS technology provides increased accuracy by automatically ranging True Root Mean Square.
- The low battery indicator has an easily replaceable battery and fuse.
- The backlit display has a bar graph, an Auto-power off icon, a High Voltage icon, a Max/Min icon, and a Hold icon.
9- Supco M500 Insulation Tester
- The insulation condition is indicated by the zone scale.
- Measure insulation values at 500 VAC up to 1000 me ohms.
- It has Test Leads that are stored in a case.
- (For its operation, it requires 2 C batteries – but are not included)
10- BTMETER BT-6688B Megohmmeter
- This digital auto-ranging meg-ohmmeter is perfect for measuring high insulation resistance levels from 0.1M to 200G ohms, with an accuracy of 3%-10% + 5 digits.
- This Mega-ohmmeter can also measure AC high voltages up to 750V, with a frequency range of 40Hz to 400Hz. It has a high voltage measurement LED warning, making it ideal for measuring insulation resistance in high-voltage electrical equipment and wiring.
- This Insulation Resistance Tester has a non-slip and anti-fall protective case which is insulative and the output testing voltage can be selected from 100V/250V/500V/1000V/2500V/5000V.
- This Mega Ohmmeter is safe and reliable, with double insulation and an overvoltage category Ⅱ safety rating. When measuring any rated voltage, if the resistance is less than 5M ohms, the measurement time should not exceed 10 seconds.
You can read also about how to do cable insulation test on site from this link: