In this method statement, we will know together how to install the Earthing and lightning protection systems on-site step by step.
01- Contractor Details
The contractor’s qualified personnel will initially undertake the work.
02- Scope of Work
Our total scope of work for earthing (grounding) systems is to supply, install, test and commission to the satisfaction and approval of the specification and client’s Engineer.
The work shall include not only the major items of the system but shall also include all the sundry incidental components necessary together with the resources for the complete execution of the works and the proper operation of the installation whether or not these sundry components are stated in detail.
03- Programmed Duration of Activity
Ongoing for the duration of construction works as per contract.
04- Management Structure/Resources and Responsibilities
All the materials will be available in the store. Work will be done under the supervision of the contractor’s MEP Construction Manager.
05- Communication/Contact Details
You can contact us through the following personnel:
Name: Position: Mobile:
06- Method Statement/Procedure- Earthing, Bonding, and Lightning Protection
- We need to use approved shop drawings and materials during installation.
- Check all approved shop drawings if the earthing system for the low current/Communication is running separately from the other Earthing system to avoid missing between loops.
- We shall install the bare copper conductor for the Earthing as per the approved shop drawing.
- Locate the exact location of the earth rod as per the shop drawing axis.
- Drive earth rods at the specified locations away from foundations as shown in the drawing and per specification.
- The depth of rods below grade should be observed since different packages might be different depths.
- Before interconnecting the Earthing rods to the Earthing system, measure the ground resistance of each rod by using the tester and record the value.
- The earth pit location is coordinated with other services.
- Interconnect earth rods with each other using approved earth electrode conductors, and route the earth conductor along the shortest and straight paths possible unless indicated by shop drawing or required by code or site conditions.
- Earth conductors from different locations shall run through a specified raceway for connection with the earth pit/rod.
- We will use the exothermic welding process for splicing, tees, and joints.
- For cross-connection where required, T-connection spaced 457mm apart shall be used.
- Upon installing Earthing pit and rod termination, facilities will be checked against the installation details.
- Bonding straps and jumpers will be installed in accessible locations for future inspection and testing.
- Bonding straps will be connected directly to the building structure where required.
- Installation of the earth bars at the locations mentioned in the approved drawings. Hence the installation should be exactly as per the detailed drawings.
- The Main Earthing bar will be connected to Earthing system by the approved type of cable indicated on the approved drawing via testing joints.
- Pressure type lug will be used for equipment Earthing wire termination.
- Computer and other electric communication equipment shall be grounded to equipment earth, which will be run separately to the building round and connected to the main Earthing system.
- An anti-corrosion material such as bituminous pain or compound will be used over the connection of dissimilar metal to protect it.
- All types of equipment considered the energy source would be connected to the earthing system.
06.2- Terminal Connections:
- Remove any nonconductive portative coating on the pipe or the conduits before connecting them.
- Connect Earthing to conduits by separating them with an approved copper clamp, straps, or grounding bushing.
- Earthing connection to piping shall be generally made by welding or brazing.
- Before any brazing or welding work, clean the spot very well for proper welding.
- After the connection is attached, any exposed bare metal shall be covered again with a coating similar to the original.
07- Inspection and Test Plan
- The exothermically welded joints can be visually inspected since one can see immediately if welding has occurred.
- Measure the ground resistance of each rod and record the valve before connecting the rod to the main Earthing system.
- Upon completion of the entire Earthing system of the site, including all necessary connections and backfilling, measure the ground resistance at a location designated by the Engineer.
- An approval form will be devised to record all the findings, such as ground resistance measurement at each point.
- The acceptable value resistance, as per specification, shall not be more than 3 ohms for computer equipment and 5 ohms for general building grounding.
- If the above value is not achieved, earth rod earth pits are added to obtain the enquired value.
- FIR will be issued when the Earthing system is completed.
08- Plant and Equipment
- Ground rods.
- Connecting clamps.
- Earthing conductors, protective conductors, and bonding conductors.
- Connectors and other accessories.
- Exothermic welding kits and tools.
- Earth pits.
- Earth electrode (rods, tapes, etc.)
- Main Earthing terminals or bars of various sizes.
- Earthing conductors of various sizes.
- Protective conductors of various sizes.
- Equipotential bonding conductors of various sizes.
- Electrically independent earth electrodes for special systems.
- Accessories and termination fittings, bonding, welding kits, and other materials.
- Main earthing conductors of various sizes
- Protective Conductors of various sizes.
- Electric drills
- Various hand tools are specific for the job.
- Bolted Connectors and Clamps Bolts, nuts, and washers.
- Exothermic-Welded Connections and welder.
- Earth resistance test meter.
- Appropriate PPE
09- Special Scaffold/Access Equipment
10- Training and Competency of Personnel
Electricians will be fully qualified and certified by the main contractor
Truck Drivers will have KSA heavy-duty licenses.
Mobile Crane drivers will be certified by the contractor’s Plant and Equipment section.
Riggers will be certified by the contractor’s Plant and Equipment section.
Exothermic welding will be carried out by trained personnel.
11- First Aid and Emergency Arrangements
The site team will have a first aid kit available during the execution.
The site clinic is also operational as necessary.
12- Advise Any Permits to Work Required
Hot work permits
13- Environmental Considerations
14- Waste Management
Off-cuts will be separated and placed in relevant skips.
15- Hazardous Substances
16- Any Special Storage Requirements
17- Testing and Commissioning
After successful installation, reports will be raised for testing, and records will be well produced and available for distribution as necessary.
18- Supporting Documents
Risk Assessment (attached) Certificates and licenses for personnel available on request
Please click on the next button if you want the complete editable file of this method statement and other method statements.
Also, If you would like to learn the different Electrical practical installations on-site, you can have a look at our Electrical Online course from this link:
Also, you can find all our published method statements on this link: